Tuesday 24 May 2011

Making the book

To make my book I used Photoshop to help layout the images and plan where the images would be placed and where the edges would be trimmed. I also had to lay the pages out as the pages would be when bound together within the book. To do this correctly I made a  small paper version that I made from normal A4 paper. I was making a twenty page book to as I was cutting out the sections of paper I had to cont the amount of pages that each bit would make when folded. After getting the paper in place and looking as though it was in the shape of a book I went through the pages numbering them 1,2,3,4 and so on. After I had done this I could see what images needed to go together to make the final layout correct and in the right order. I also had to place the text in the correct pages as if this was wrong it would completely throw off the direction of the book's narrative and wouldn't make sense. Below are the final pages in the book, they are out of order but this is how they have to be laid out in order to print and bind. It looks confusing in this order as it is almost back to front, but it is the only method of being able to print it correctly. After the pages where printed I added the cover that I made from 180gsm white paper, I stapled the book together with two staples, I then cut down the edges of the book using a scalpel and cutting mat and ruler. This was a little bit difficult as it took a while to cut through all the layers of the book. I think the final product is good and it's not too bad for my first attempt at ever making a book myself. I have to wait for the other book to be delivered which isn't going to be until the 31st of may as they said they have an issue with the shipping at the moment. This is a little bit disappointing as I would have liked to been able to show both books together to compare and contrast the positives and negatives of self publishing and professional publishing. Hey ho, the show must go on...










No comments: